History

First Lutheran Church has served the people of Elkhorn and surrounding communities for more than 140 years. During this long history God has blessed our congregation with faithful pastors, wonderful school teachers and members who consider it a real privilege to gather together and worship their Savior even as they support and encourage one another. The congregation was founded in 1871 and the original church building can still be seen on the corner of Church and Geneva streets near downtown Elkhorn.

As God has blessed us, he has also enabled us to move and expand our facilities a number of times. The current worship center was built in 1973 on the corner of Devendorf and Centralia Streets. Our school opened it’s doors in the fall of 1981. In 2002, we expanded again with the addition of a gymnasium and expanded meeting and gathering space.

Early in 2012 we adopted a long-range plan for our ministry to guide us in the next phase of our history as we seek to reach out to our community and strengthen those who gather here for lives of service in God’s kingdom. We would be happy if you would join us.